Wednesday, May 4, 2016

How I Can Almost Always Stop Baby From Crying

Sometimes she's had enough with Mamarazzi!


Music can change your mood immediately.  Think about coming home after the worst work day and hearing your jam on the radio.  Instant mood lifter, right?  When I got pregnant, I started listening to my favorite worship song every single morning while I made breakfast.  My intent was to listen to “Lord I Need You” during labor and delivery to help me through, and it did, but I also found out that the song had a magic quality.  If it was playing, Little LB abruptly stopped crying.  What was really going on?
1.       In the womb, baby is awake at night and asleep during the day.  I basically made the song a bedtime lullaby.
2.       Baby was rocked to sleep to the song as I walked around the kitchen singing along.
3.       Baby came to associate this song with both the comforts of the womb and sleep.

Choosing a lullaby like this is easy.  Pick a gentle song you love and think you could listen to several times a day.  Make it a song that feels calming to you.  Go easy on the percussion.  I particularly liked mine because I thought the rolling cymbals would be reminiscent of the air rushing through my lungs and my blood pumping.  Listen every morning while pregnant, during L and D, and anytime baby gets upset.  We have used it to calm her in the hospital, car seat, at the store, at home, and right after shots!  It still works like a charm after 6 months.  It amazes us that she can be crying in the car and hear the first notes of this song and stop crying immediately!  (Disclaimer... when the song ends, she often starts crying again if she hasn't fallen asleep. Sometimes it's a temporary fix... Unless we put it on repeat!)

No comments:

Post a Comment